- This event has passed.
Discussion: Climate action in Higher Education
9 March 2022 @ 14:00 - 16:00
Following COP26 in Glasgow in 2021 we are bringing together students, staff and policy makers in the UK and the Netherlands for an international panel discussion. Join on us on Wednesday 09 March 2022 at TivoliVredenburg in Utrecht for an interactive panel discussion. The event will serve as an opening to the dialogue between Dutch and British Higher Education institutes on climate action and how the higher education field can turn its ambitions into reality. You’ll hear perspectives from the UK and the Netherlands. Students, young professionals, climate activists and Higher Education institutes will share their views and perspectives in an interactive panel discussion. The below questions will be addressed:
– How can students, staff, and policy makers practically and adequately approach the problem of climate change?
– What are the barriers that prevent institutions from acting meaningfully and swiftly, and how can these be overcome?
– How can higher education institutions (HEIs) successfully incorporate the SDGs into their programmes to prepare their students for the future and contribute to the fight against climate change?
Students from the UK and the Netherlands are also invited to send in questions and take part in the discussion. Submit your questions to the panelists here .
The panel features the following expert speakers from the UK and the Netherlands:
– Dr Ria Dunkley, Senior Lecturer in Geography, Environment and Sustainability at the University of Glasgow and Climate Ambassador during COP26
– Tim van Hattum, Programme Leader Green Climate Solutions at Wageningen University and Research
– René van Hell, Director for Inclusive Green Growth, Ambassador for Sustainable Development and Arctic Ambassador, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
– Jouja Maamri, Director of Climate Philanthropy at Impatience Earth and UK Delegate to the G7 Youth Summit
– Tiffanie Septier, Executive Board Member Students for Tomorrow (Studenten voor Morgen)
– Josh Tregale, Climate activist and Coordinator Mock COP26
– Sofie de Wit, Junior Policy Officer – Department of Inclusive Green Growth, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Netherlands
The interactive panel discussion will be moderated by Aniek Moonen, Chair Dutch Youth Climate Movement (Jonge Klimaatbeweging)
Programme – Wednesday 09 March 2022
14:00 – 14:05 Opening by moderator
14:05 – 14:10 Video message by Sandor Gaastra, Director General Climate and Energy, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate
14:10 – 14:45 Interactive session with four speakers
14:45 – 15:15 Networking break
15:15 – 15:55 Panel discussion and Q&A
15:55 – 16:00 Thank you and close
Tickets can be bought on the website of TivoliVredenburg. You’ll also be able to follow the livestream of the event.